Coral Gables is less than 10 miles from the downtown Miami area. When looking for a vacation destination it probably isn’t on your radar. Well it should be, but only if you stay at The Biltmore Hotel….
- History – The Biltmore Hotel was built in the 1920’s and has a rich history, as does The City of Coral Gables where it is located. When you enter Coral Gables, the large oak and banyan trees create vast canopies that shade the streets. The City of Coral Gables is celebrating her 90th anniversary in 2015. The City was founded by George Merrick whose vision was inspired by Italian and Spanish architecture. We loved seeing the old pictures everywhere throughout the hotel. And we were lucky to be there on a Sunday so we could go on the complimentary Historical Tour, with a guide from the Dade County Historical Society. It was very informal and the kids got to ask questions. It was nice to teach them about the history right in our own backyard.
- Timeless Luxury – The Biltmore has undergone substantial renovations in the past decade. The rooms were nicely redone and clean, but still had that old Florida charm. It’s a different kind of luxury than other luxury brands…….but timeless luxury of historic hotels can be breathtaking. We loved the choices for families, starting with the Junior Suites, a popular part of The Biltmore’s “Family Fun” packages. We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was slightly larger. You need to request two queen beds as none of the suites have pull‐out couches which we found surprising. Having two queen beds worked out well for our family of 4.
- Service – I find some aspects of Miami to be “stuffy”. Living in South Florida, I usually don’t choose to vacation in Miami. The Biltmore staff gave me the feeling of top notch service without ever feeling stuffy. I could not say enough about everyone who we encountered from the bellman to the pool staff. You expect service at a hotel like the Biltmore, and it delivered!
- Biltmore Buddies – The Biltmore offers a lot for kids starting with the kids club, Biltmore Buddies, and even offers culinary classes for kids. We loved the special kids menu by the pool (reasonably priced too) and my kids took a break from swimming in the largest pool in the US to enjoy kids’ smoothies.
- Spa – A getaway for me is just not complete without a trip to the spa. And with the fall specials, including a 70 minute Signature Chardonnay Massage for $99, who could resist? The service was impeccable. Perfect for #welltraveledparents
- Coral Gables – We took some time to visit The Venetian Pools, a few blocks from The Biltmore. What a treat – one of the few pools in the US registered with the National Register of Historic Places. A unique experience that you don’t want to miss! Also nearby is Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, also built in the early 1900’s, and they offer great Family Guides and audio tours. Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens is #nottobemissed if you love horticulture.
If you live in Florida check out the amazing Florida Resident deals (extended through October, which include Junior Suites and breakfast). You can enjoy a luxurious getaway for a very reasonable price. And if you are anywhere in the US looking for your winter getaway, put Coral Gables on your radar, the gem outside of downtown Miami. You can enjoy luxury and history, and still have dinner in South beach…….